Backpacking allows you to enjoy the outdoors and get some great exercise at the same time. How to go backpacking will walk you through choosing a great destination and putting together all the equipment you need for your next backpacking excursion. Backpacking is one of the healthiest and least expensive outdoor activities you can enjoy. For some people, it becomes a way of life. Before you plan a trip, you should check with your doctor to make sure you can handle some of the physical demands of backpacking. Once you get the go ahead, you can start preparing to see the best locations. Whether you’re backpacking through Europe or just getting away for the day, the following plan will help set you on your way.
Step 1: Choose Your Destination
Before you can plan anything, you need to choose your location. Have you always dreamed of backpacking through a national park for a week? Or, are you thinking of a longer excursion? Maybe just getting away for an afternoon is what you had in mind. The best way to pick your location is to research it first.
Connect with Your Fellow Backpackers
Other backpackers can provide first-hand information that will give you a more realistic idea of what to expect from each destination. Once you know what to expect, it’s much easier to choose.
- Start by exploring information through message boards and online forums.
- Find first-person stories from experienced backpackers talking about their previous adventures and their experience with gear.
- Ask co-workers, family and friends about their backpacking experiences.
- Join a backpacking club to meet people and get general guidance for trip planning.
- Listen to the experts and watch online backpacking videos of some popular locations. Read more…